JACKIE! Who's It Gonna Be?


I recently settled in front of the TV after work to watch some re-runs of That 70s Show on MTV. I don’t know if anyone still watches this show, but it’s actually very funny and I wish it were still around. Anyway, it was the episode where Jackie has to pick between two guys—Kelso and Hyde—who are fighting over her in the most ridiculous of ways.  (I know. We should all be so lucky to have men fight over us.)


When Jackie makes her decision, standing confidently in front of the two men boys, her selection elicits a round of laughter from the audience:
           
            “I choose ME,” she says, and everyone laughs. “I had to ask myself a really hard question: who do I love most? And the answer was so obvious, it was staring me in the face the whole time. The person I love most, is me! I love me most!
            *Cue laughter*
            “You choose you?” Hyde and Kelso are in disbelief, coming to terms with the fact that they’ve just pointlessly tormented their friendship over a girl.
            “Look, if I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would!
            More laughter.

 Now, besides the fact that Jackie Burkhart is totally and completely obsessed with herself in every vain way possible, girl’s got a point here. Why should we have to choose a man? Why do girls feel the need to be validated by the boys? There is that old saying that goes a little something like this: only when you love yourself through and through can you love another, wholly and completely, truly and deeply.  I’m talking about loving your quirks, the wrinkles in your skirt and the wrinkles on your brain, the mistakes you make and the things you accomplish.  Your favorite things and your least favorite things. Because they all have a part in making you YOU.  

Okay, okay. I’ll admit it. I’m an advocate for loving yourself, and I don’t care if it gets annoying. I’ve only recently started to romance my own self. That sounds weird, I suppose…but it’s true. I do love myself, and though it may take some convincing every morning, I wear my confidence tucked into my jeans with a little love belted on. And if I trip over myself, I’ll laugh and tell the world: “Whatever.”

            Do yourself a favor, and choose yourself once and a while. Don't be afraid to run into your own arms. Love your own self the most. 

4 comments:

  1. awh, i really like your blog & writing style. this post was so true, as well. i'm a big advocate on loving yourself too. i think sometimes people forget how essential it is not only to your own happiness but that of those around you. the more positive you feel about yourself, the more positive you make them feel by proxy! it's one of those wonderful things that just keeps giving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love That 70's Show. I think you're right, she actually does have a good point in this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old school.

    As they say, you are your own best company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I read this article I thought I like the way she thinks and became your newest follower. Drop by and visit me sometime if the mood strikes you I'm at Deliciously Happy

    I love that 70s show

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!