To All My Fellow Slouchees

 I don’t know if anyone else out there considers themselves a slouchee—sits like a melting pile of ice cream—but I do. 

And it’s hard to sit up straight. It’s hard to remind myself to sit up, roll my shoulders back, straighten the spine. My mother’s voice has found a second home in my mind: “Sit up, Kerry!” And still, to my twenty-second year, I slouch.

           
I’m not perfect, and I will never claim to be. I sit funny when I’m feeling insecure, I won’t speak if I’m in an uncomfortable social situation, and I’ve suffered through probably one of the worst cases of low self-esteem on the planet. Yada, yada, yada. You’ve heard it all before. Well, me too. And that’s the thing; a low level of self-confidence is all too common these days. I’ve come across it in friends, shared the likes of most hated body parts with past roommates (“My nail beds SUCK!”), and seen some tragic stories in the media. I feel like most young girls and women walk around with one thing on their mind: being beautiful. After all, who hasn’t stared at the ads in Vogue and pictured their face atop an impossibly skinny high fashion model or wished for the perfect hair/teeth/skin combination that lingers around what seems to be EVERY corner? That exhausting desire for physical perfection is all over the place, splattered so heavily across our country that it makes me feel like there’s some kind of subliminal proviso in the Constitution that I’ve missed.
            Somewhere along the line, we teach our daughters to strive for unmatched beauty, and it does not matter whether we do this intentionally or not; it just happens. The media is like a hungry, red-eyed wolf when it comes to devouring the confidence of women, especially those who, like me, have a difficult time holding on to what little self-esteem they have. Why are we letting ourselves be told how to look and act by the people who define themselves only by how they look? (Paris Hilton, anyone?) Shouldn’t we look up to those who let their personalities and imperfections shine? We are women; we are more than what the media wants us to be. Perhaps sometimes we hide behind our mascara eyelashes and painted lips, or we might tiptoe in our wedges and slouch in our dresses, but there is something inside of us that we need to latch on to: s o u l.  
            I am calling all women—small, tall, sure or unsure, make-up or no make-up—to take what is inside of you and be comfortable with your outside, let your hair down and use it as your super-hero cape, instead of a security blanket. Take your slouching shoulders and lift yourself up, head towards the sky, and know, just know, that you can soar.
            Know that it is the looks of your soul that truly matters.
             

10 comments:

  1. I stumbled across you on 20sb this afternoon, and I love this post. So very true, something that we all need to be reminded of on a fairly consistant basis. Props for saying what we're all thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. We would all be so much better off if we could love ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this! I need this encouragement so much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Kerry Rose! I found your blog through 20sb. I am proud of you because of your perspective. I used to be that type of girl who is a living testimony of all of women's insecurities (or at least, I thought so...) I'm glad to have overcome a lot of them and I'm still working out on some.

    God makes no mistakes, so definitely there is NOTHING wrong with how we look like. :-)

    Take care and God bless! :-)

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys for your comments! I think all of us girls need to be reminded that we are all beautiful in our own way, and like you said Irene, God does not make mistakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool blog and i will be following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog from 20SB and have loved reading.
    It's good to be reminded of this, but I so often find it hard to find a balance. I want to look nice for my hubby, but at the same time it's easy to get all caught up in the media's idea of beauty and not God's!

    I'm a terrible sloucher! I'm sitting dead straight now though!!! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. its so hard to not think this way..our lives are based around it and we are conditioned to think that a certain something or material belonging will make us beautiful..i don't know if this will ever be reversed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, I'm sure you're right; it won't ever be reversed. But we still have the power to choose not to buy into it, however tough it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog design! Hi,...just stumbled upon your blog and this post is right on. Fantastic! So good to hear this message...us ladies out here in the wide world need to write this message across our mirrors, I'm thinking. :)) Look forward to reading more.

    Jeanine :))
    wayfaringgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!