"Write it all Goddamn Down," he said.

Ah, it’s late, isn't it, dreamland the only place left to go? So, this: write it all down, Kelly. The spit and string and sweat of us, the purl and sweep of our condemned kind. Write it all down. The hopes and fears we are, the yip and yike we are in the dark. The hand and head and heart of us. Write it all down.

            Write it all goddamn down.”

These the words of advice from Lee K. Abbott to his twenty three year old son who had just admitted his heart belongs to the passion of writing; that he, too, wanted to be a writer, much like the likes of his father.

I’m reading a book that is going to change my life. And I realized it after I finished reading Abbott’s words. This book is going to change my life.

And then I placed my library slip bookmark in it and walked away from it. To write this.

I’m afraid that, as a young 22 year old who prefers the ideal to the real, I’ve walked away from one too many a dream. Living in Paris. Teaching English and living in Florence, Italy. Becoming a writer.

I think it’s high time I admit to myself that I’ve walked away from the one dream that hasn’t changed since I was in fifth grade: Kerry Rose, the writer.

Kerry Rose, the girl in love with prose, easily put above the silly want for a life companion. The girl who drinks four cups of Early Grey tea, milk & sugar please, locking herself in the den until she completes five more pages of chapter two. The girl who is always, always writing, paper or not.

I recently wrote a much admired English professor from college professing my inescapable frustration with my lack of writing these days (a man who, I can only hope, has some kind of belief in little old me to become the writer that I always wanted to be). After reading his reply I ran to the local library to check out the book he suggested I read: Letters to a Fiction Writer, by Frederick Busch. Between the plastic covered goodness lingers dozens and dozens of letters from several authors, from the likes of Ray Bradbury, Raymond Carver and Joyce Carol Oates. To say I am in heaven would be an understatement.

I am in reality, here. A reality much better than anything I imagined. John Steinbeck seems to have caught on to my not so sneaky ways of procrastination: “Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on.” And boy, he’s got me down to a T.

But I’m not here to rehash everything and hand out key phrases that I think are important—I’m barely half way through the thing and I doubt that would make for an enjoyable post, anyway. I’m just here to prove to myself that I can still do this thing, this becoming a writer mission, that this dream of my mine is s t i l l in my heart.

I’m here to say that if a dream is worth chasing, it will never dare to leave your heart. This kind of a dream becomes your heart, and so long as you are living, the dream will always beat. 

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Kerry.

    I think you should do it.

    You possess many of the characteristics becoming of the writer: a desire to drink the nectar of delicious prose, a grasp of language, of meaning, of purpose.

    The writer must always engage in the quest for answers to great questions.

    So go, quest, and most of all, write - whether on paper or mind.

    Also, Lee K. Abbott is a SICK writer.

    And I like the mention of Bradbury: he's the one that got it started for me. His stories came to life - they exploded off the page in fiery bursts of prose and pathos - and I knew that I wanted to be like him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much John. I mean it-you have no idea how encouraging it is to hear from a great writer like yourself that it is a dream worth pursuing. I hope you do, as well. Thoreen would want it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kerry! That really means a lot.

    And, I'm hoping to live the dream: even if it kills me, haha.

    But yeah, I look forward to seeing your name on the New York Times Bestseller list. Just remember me when you get there, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Wow. Wow. I needed this more than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have for as long as I can remember harboured a desire to write and have the novel I have written published. I kinda have this dream of one day (when I am happily married, with kids) owning a suburban house with a room dedicated solely to a library. I want my novel to be part of this library.

    I have on countless occasions started writing this novel and I have on the same amount of times stopped. However, the dream is still there and I know one day, when work and life calms down, I will do it. I will because I enjoy it.

    I truly hope and secretly know you have all the willpower and talent/gifts needed to create something special. I look forward to reading it and would be happy to read the odd extract!

    Now. Please clone yourself and send the respective clone to London! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom! This is literally my biggest dream. To have a library in my home, with my published work(s) on the shelves. I don't even care if I don't have a bathroom, so long as I have a library. I just love books!

    And as far as cloning myself goes, I'll see what I can do haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!