Fighting the Good Fight With Glasses On

When she was just a girl, she expected the world. But it flew away from her reach, so she ran away in her sleep and dreamed of paradise.

Every time I hear those Coldplay lyrics I get a little bit lost in my own head. I think back to when I was younger and everything was a lot rosier. Then I remember learning the expression that talks about taking off your “rose colored glasses” and actually seeing the world for what it is. 

But, can I tell you a secret? I didn’t throw those glasses away. I didn’t even hide them from sight. I keep them in my back pocket, always. I like to throw them on when I start to feel like there’s no possible way I can take another step forward because what’s the point? Oh, my friends. There’s always a point.

I don’t mean to come off as a hipster when I say this (let’s be real…I am part hipster, only by accident), but there is nothing I hate more than a cliché. In fact, I make it a point to even avoid the word “cliché,” but for our purposes today, we will dabble in the subject. There is a saying that I repeat to myself, family, friends, random acquaintances, professors, pets, the Starbuck’s barista, and my Blackberry when it freezes. You might say I wear this expression down to its boney skeleton, but I can’t help it. I believe in it that much. And you’ll probably roll your eyes when I tell you what it is because you’ve heard it at least a dozen times.

       {   Everything happens for a reason.  }

The cliché-est of the cliché, am I right? Whether you agree with me or not, I truly don’t think you can deny the universe anything; what it wants, it gets, and more often than not we human beings are left stranded. And all we have are those words. {I think we all know that they can be as frustrating as they can be comforting.}

If you think about it, everything has to happen for a reason. One thing needs another to lead to the next. When we grow up, our rose colored glasses are sneered at and we have to take them off. We see, once we take the glasses off, how important it is to believe in the good, to fight the good fight and never.give.up.

 What I mean is, while engulfed in a fury of pure frustration because my front tire is flat, I might forget that the person kind enough to walk over to help me change tires could have a serious impact on my life. Or, heck, they could be impacted in some small way by little old me.

5 comments:

  1. Love it. What it wants, it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry, I also hate cliches . . . but they're cliches for a reason, yes? Usually I realize it in retrospect, but things really, really have a purpose for happening. Great post, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your blog today from Janine, a wayfaring girl's link. Love the insights. You should be a poet! I especially loved your post about people watching. I don't think there's any better form of entertainment myself. It is absolutely fascinating!

    Keep up the good work! I am a new follower...

    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. a) you are an INCREDIBLE writer.
    b) I needed to hear that reminder today--even if it is cliche.
    c) I love how you framed it: everything has to happen for a reason. SO TRUE!
    d) LOVE your blog! hope you have a great night! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!