I Don't Really Know How To Tell You This, But...It's May.

I’m just going to tell you that I’m staring at my calendar in disbelief right now.

May 2nd? When did that happen?    

via pinterest
And can I tell you something else? There are so many things that have changed since last May, and so many things that haven’t. I’m still obsessed with Wife Swap. But I don’t eat meat anymore.

I’m starting my MFA program this June and all I can do is count down the days. But then there’s that problem of finding time to sit down and work on my manuscript….time management 101, anyone? Why can’t I take a class on that? I need to start work on giving things up, because, let’s face it. That old saying, “I don’t have the time,” can’t be an excuse for why I’m not writing. A professor from college told me I needed to make sacrifices; stay home from the movies to write, keep the TV and cell phone off, give up Facebooking, tweeting, pinning, taking stupid photos to put on Instagram to show people that yes, yes I do have a life. 
 
Obviously I haven’t really adapted to the whole “I’m a writer” thing. If I’m a writer, when do I write? Except for now, which doesn’t really count? Or does it? So am I even a writer? What am I?????

When I graduated from college last May, I lost a huge chunk of my identity in a split second. I was a full time student, roommate, retreat leader, campus ministry team member. I was a girlfriend until months before that. I was so many meaningful things. Until I traded it all in for a diploma.

And I love that diploma. I framed that diploma, and if I could frame every step I took to get to that little guy, I would.

But when I stopped being all those things, I had to sink into myself and pull out the parts of my identity that couldn’t change even if I sold my soul to the devil.

I am a sister. A daughter. A best friend. And a writer.

8 comments:

  1. I'm about to graduate in a week, and I'm feeling that very thing... the loss of those parts of my identity, which weren't even really my identity, but just my season of life. And now it's time to pull out the real stuff. For me, a musician. But all those other time-fillers? They're so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving the sweet comment. I LOVE wifeswap and gave up meat this year! Small world :] I graduated in December and it was so surreal. Everything came to an end all of a sudden and I had to figure out what to do next. That is so exciting that you are getting your MFA! Everything will work its self out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to join you with staring in disbelief at the date, where has the time gone? I feel like it's been a blur and I've not done anything I've been meaning to! As long as someone, one person, enjoys reading the words you write/type, I think you can add writer to the CV. I certainly love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange how much can change in a year! I graduate next year, and I'm so scared! But I know a diploma will be worth it all.

    :)
    xx

    daydream frenzy

    Swimsuit Giftcard Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  5. i graduated last year too, and it's crazy how much your life changes! your blog is darling. you're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it seems like this whole year has been whizzing by... what the heck?! I can't believe it's May either! And congrats on starting your MFA program - so exciting!! xo veronika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post... and I agree the time does simply fly by. Also, I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out on my blog :)

    mylifeinlavender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your beautiful blog and I love it, especially this post! I graduated just about 3 weeks ago now and I'm totally feeling a lot of these things so I love that I'm not alone. I love new beginnings and experiences but graduation and moving on from that time in my life has hit me with a ton of bricks! Good things to come!!

    Katy
    www.momentsofmusing.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!