The Princeless Charming Version of Me

 You are five years old and you have this collection of Disney movies on VHS (this is pre-DVD, DVR, on-demand, HBO life; yes, it existed) that you consider to be synonymous with gold, a profitable currency that allows you to trade with other Disney fiends and experience those last few films you have yet to acquire. 



via pinterest

You tend to dance around the living room during the musical numbers, often misconstruing the lyrics for more “kid-friendly” words (i.e., “savages” become “sandwiches”).  But as the end comes closer, with you sitting crisscross applesauce smack in front of the television, you have no problem with the fact that the girl always finds a way to her prince charming, that the girl goes through all these ups and downs and its all worth it in the end if it means a crown and boy. You take it all in like candy.

Now, at 23, your life so far from the charming versions of Disney, you still scramble for the TV remote when you see Beauty and the Beast is on at 7, so you can record it and watch it twice. But this time, decades since your five-year-old viewing of the film, all you see is the verbal abuse the poor girl so cleverly named “Belle” receives from that hairy brute. Until, of course, he magically turns back into a prince and his attitude makes a 180. If only every woman had a Gaston to sic on their guy, maybe it’d be possible to actually change him after all.

Beyond the monopoly of princes and princesses, sometimes I still feel like that five-year-old girl, watching real life folks make their own fairy tales. And I think to myself, “how lucky for them…” to be living in New York City, to be working their dream jobs, to have the courage to take a risk and be self-employed. How lucky? No, lady. Luck has got close to nothing to do with it.

It’s hard work. A good combination of blood, sweat and tears. They didn’t sail off into their futures with a genie lamp—they found some innate courage and worked towards it, pulled out some strength and kept going. They heard the words “give up” echo in their minds and had to pull out a dictionary because they don’t. know. what. that. means. Their only option was onward.

And I just wish I had seen a movie like that as a kid. 

9 comments:

  1. I can definitely agree. I was reading about another great blogger before I came here & thought, "How great for them to live in New York and have their dream job. Gosh, so lucky!" Then, I read your post. Haha. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely show that film to my future kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderfully said. And so true. I loved Disney films, but when I occasionally watch one back I can be quite surprised as to what they actually teach kids too.

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully written post! You have a real talent with words... I found myself back in front of "Beauty and the Beast", wide eyed with a sippy-cup of milk in one hand, and a grubby teddy in the other!

    You have a really great blog here - Consider me your newest follower!

    Jen
    http://drawingsunderthetable.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely have a way with words. You write so well, I envy that. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog and for following, I returned the favor :)

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful post! I hate that when we grow up we lose some of that "magic" of childhood and I love your view on trying to recapture that. Plus, Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite Disney movie... I watched it over and over again as a kid. Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's odd; these films send really misleading messages to girls (and boys). Sometimes, I feel the urge to rewrite them, or write new ones entirely. Your post was lovely and your blog is very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a way with words! I love it! Thanks for reminding us all of our beautiful childhoods and what actually happens when we grow up. Sad isn't it?

    I am your newest follower! Can't wait to get to know you better!
    -Bridgette
    bridgettenicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here :) Let me know your thoughts, I love to hear you from you & see what you've got say!